Avengers social club Review

I absolutely love revenge dramas, so when this series popped up, I jumped right in.


And boy, am I glad I did! I watched 6 episodes of this drama and it has been a super fun ride. The drama centers around three women and a guy who have been scarred either emotionally or physically by people around them, and now, they have finally had enough and are out for blood.

Kim Jung Hye (Played by Lee Yo Won) comes from a rich family and is married to an even richer husband and her life is seemingly perfect until her husband brings home his son, Lee Soo Gyum (Jun from U-Kiss) from a previous relationship. Betrayed by this, Jung Hye starts the ''Bok-Ja club'' to exact her revenge on the husband. Soon, she is joined by Hong Do Hee (Ra Mi Ran), a poor fishmonger who wants to take revenge on people that wronged her son in school, and Lee Mi Sook (Myung Se Bin) who is fed up with her abusive husband and wants.. that's right! You guessed it. Revenge. The three women are also joined by an unlikely guy. The aforementioned son Soo Gyum. The plot sounds complicated and mysterious? Well, think again.

The drama on the outset looks serious but it is actually funny and adorable how these ladies come up with their plans for revenge. Six episodes in, we have yet to see any actual revenge come out from them. The story is of course building towards that point and me being the hardcore revenge fan that I am, was certainly disappointed with the tone of the drama at the start, but now, I have come to terms with it. This is a really enjoyable drama and I seriously cannot think of a single drama in recent months that made me laugh so much (Siwon's new drama seemed good for the first two episodes and then just wilted out but this one is entertaining enough to make you come back for more). The chemistry between the three women is GOALS MATERIAL. They seem like such an awkward pairing on paper but as the series goes on, you realize how much empathy and love they have for each other. Their bond is so enviable and what I really liked about the drama is that it takes its time developing the bond between them. I also love the relationship between Jung Hye and Soo Gyum. Because of their shared similarities, these two form a strong dynamic that leaves so much to explore. Lee Yo Won plays the superficially arrogant but in-reality naive and cute Jung Hye to perfection (especially when she is drunk). Ra Mi Ran as Hong Do Hee makes you wish you had an older sister like her and her affection comes through so naturally when she acts. Lee Mi Sook seems a bit stiff sometimes, but I suppose it's how she is supposed to be portrayed. Because of the abuse she has had to endure, she developed a shell outside and isn't able to mingle freely, but she starts to open up as the series progresses, so I am guessing it's why she is a bit stiff now. All the other actors in the drama portray their characters really well too and I don't find anyone out of place in the drama.

The drama is adapted from a webtoon, which I imagine is a lot darker than the drama. The drama has 6 episodes left so I am hoping it will pick up the pace soon and round out everything nicely. Strong performances, lots of humor , fresh and entertaining, Avengers social club is one of my favorite dramas this season, and I highly recommend it.

My rating: 8.5/10







Comments

  1. Thank's for making review. I am also really enjoy this drama. i rarely watch rom com or comedy k drama but Bokja Club makes me laugh and smile a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the review. I am glad you are enjoying this drama as much as I am :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts